23 February 2006

Dove's Eyes

I sleep, but my heart is awake. A sound! My love is knocking!
(Song of Solomon 5:2 HCSB)


I belong to my love, and his desire is for me.
(Song of Solomon 7:10 HCSB)


This morning, the Lord had me reading through Song of Solomon. Heidi's doing a study of Song of Solomon right now (she talked about it a little in her last post) and it's one of those things that's been cropping up all over the place. I'm fully aware of its natural meaning of the joys of married love, but, today, I was reading it with an eye towards its spiritual meaning of the Lord pursuing us as a bridegroom pursues his bride.

He finds me desirable and my heart thrills and responds to His love.

How beautiful you are, my darling. How very beautiful! Your eyes are doves.
(Song of Solomon 1:15 HCSB)


I read last night in Bob Sorge's Secrets of the Secret Place that doves have no peripheral vision. So, when the Lord says our eyes are doves, He is saying our gaze needs to be firmly fixed on Him to the exclusion of everything else. We have tunnel vision--nothing else even registers but Him.

And the joy of it is, His eyes are described as doves as well. He is gazing back at us with that same intensity of adoration!

His eyes are like doves beside streams of water, washed in milk and set like jewels.
(Song of Solomon 5:12 HCSB)


Oh, Lord, I set my gaze fully on You. Be magnified in my sight until You are all I can see. Hold my attention, Lord--don't let me be distracted by anything. I want to be captured and enthralled with You and You alone.

And, Lord, I thank You that You have fixed Your faze firmly upon me. I have no idea why You have chosen me, why You look upon me with such intensity, but I am so thankful for it. Teach me to respond to Your love--enlarge my heart's capacity to receive from You.

Amen.

1 comment:

83princess said...

That was awesome! Really opens your "eyes" to what He is really saying in those passages.
I appreciate both of you so much!
I miss and love you both!